martes, 24 de mayo de 2011

Algunas Diferencias

1)  Public bathrooms: And by this, I mean, there are none. No existen. And for this reason, I’ve learned to not be surprised to see kids (with parents by their sides) peeing on trees planted in the middle of the streets. This is acceptable behavior. Additionally, places like Starbucks or McDonald’s print numbers on all receipts that then become codes to enter their bathrooms. A very literal interpretation of “customers only.” I learned this the hard way by trying to use the bathroom after I already threw my receipt away…que mal suerte.

2)   Streets: The majority of the streets here are wide enough for one car and one car only. The kicker is that not one of these streets is one way. While walking to school the other day, I saw a small child almost get run over at a 4-way intersection due to the lack of stop signs. And it’s not just small children; one time I saw a full-grown person almost die. No wait. That was me, and it was every day that I have been here. I swear I’m going to die in the streets of Spain.

3)   Daily schedules: The US would be wise to follow in the footsteps of Spaniards. They wake up late, go to work for a couple of hours, close shop between 2-5:30 pm for siesta, and then go back to work until dinner. Of course, it is super frustrating to us Americans who want to shop mid-afternoon but are prohibited by literally everything being closed. It’s a nice system I guess, but I honestly wonder how it is maintained. A sound businessperson would want to take advantage of staying open while all the competition isn’t bringing in any revenue. Por eso, unfortunately I doubt the siesta system would ever work in the US.
I
I have more of these in mind so look for more to come in the furture! Also check out my new pictures if you haven't already done so.

xoxo

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario