viernes, 20 de mayo de 2011

Chocolate con Churros

I'm not going to lie, I have not exactly loved everything I've eaten here. The other day mi familia ate a bowl full of sardines (scales, spine and all related things still intact), and I simply could not eat it. I felt super bad, but for pete's sake that crossed a couple lines in my book. With that said, there are a couple things here that almost all American taste buds would die for, which go by the name of "chocolate con churros." Think of the best funnel cake you've ever had and then think of dunking that funnel cake into chocolate--amazing. Granted, the chocolate here is very different than what we are used to; it's much less sweet, so most of us poured sugar all over our churros before dunking them in chocolate. There's a reason Americans are known for being fat, and it's probably because we come to other countries and cover our foods with sugar, salt, mustard, butter, salad dressing, and the like. So far, the only kind of "condiment" I've seen used is oil. They do love their oil here. Everything is swimming in oil. So, as far as oil goes, I guess we are doing okay.

Mi madre prepares every meal for us--She is so precious. Every morning my roommate and I wake up to hot chocolate and toast, croissants, "donos," or some other kind of pastry. Lunch is always eaten together as a family, and the food has varied from "lentejas" to potatoes and tomatoes (which in my mind is nothing but oil soup) to sardines to what we had today, which was eggs and some kind of cheesy sticks. We don't eat dinner con la familia because they go to bed so late here. Mi madre cooks for my roommate and I to eat dinner around 10 (5 hours later than my normal senior citizen dinnertime), and they eat about 2 hours later. It's crazy.

Yesterday my roommate and I bought nuestra madre some flowers in La Plaza de Flores, which is about a 4 minute walk from where we live. I've never seen anyone so happy to receive flowers. Nuestro padre se llama Pepe. They have a daughter a bit older than us, a dog named Sombra, and a bird named Pablo. Me encanta mi familia de Espana, but I love my real family bigger, and I miss you guys a lot!

xoxo

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario