jueves, 2 de junio de 2011

The language the whole world understands


Yesterday I went home during the two-hour break between my first and second classes for the sole purpose of eating a Nutella and jelly sandwich. Due to the fact that I don’t often come home in between classes, I just about gave mi madre a heart attack when she walked through the kitchen and found me licking jelly off of my butter knife.

Sidebar: She thinks it is hysterical slash really weird how in love I am with a children’s sandwich. She also told me to be careful with all that Nutella in the summertime because I will fatten up. Gracias madre.

After she was satisfied with the scolding she gave me for not alerting her that I was home, she sat down and began a conversation about…oh that’s right. I have no idea. I don’t know how it started, but before I knew what was happening, she had pulled out a photo album, and the two of us proceeded to flip through the pages of her past.

Me encanta mi madre. She showed me pictures of Cadiz, her family, her children—all the things that are important to her. When we got to her wedding photos (taken around 30 years ago), I asked her to tell me all about su boda.

She told me the story of how she and Pepe (su marido) met, and it was so precious. I told her that I could tell that they were still very much in love, to which she replied (roughly translated), “I love him so much. He is a good man, a good husband, a good son, a good father, a good brother…a good man. Pepe es mi amor por toda mi vida.” She started tearing up, and I was at a loss for words—both Spanish and English.

I can only pray that one day, after being married for 30 years, I will be able to say the same thing about my own husband.

In other news, I got my butt grabbed twice by the same man yesterday and just about lost all my composure. After the first time he touched me, he turned around and followed me down the street because apparently one grab just wasn’t enough. Since of course I don’t freak out in Spanish, I quite literally yelled “STOP” in English…a lot of good that would have done me in a real emergency situation. After I yelled and turned to face him, he scampered away.

My dream man.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario